Saturday 18 July 2015

Redbank Pinot Grigio 2014

What do people drink? I ask plenty of somms and they all say different things. For instance Adelaide can't get enough Fiano at the moment but they don't drink much Arneis. In Sydney they seem to be more open to Arneis but the guys I deal with aren't too keen on Nero d'Avola. What I'm getting at is that I am not a fan of Grigio yet it seems to be a mover especially in the restaurant business. In terms of style the Grigio wines seem to be more aligned with Sav Blanc and I can see why people like to drink that as it is unadulterated grape juice. No winemaking tricks or oak treatment just straight up grapes into the bottle.

Redbank Pinot Grigio 2014

Boo ya in terms of open and inviting at this early stage but I guess I have seen some 2015 wines out in the market. Ok so this is all grapefruits and hints of pears and granny smith apples which point to  a fresh and lively sort of a wine with a creaminess coming through on the back palate. There is a hint of phenolic texture but otherwise it is all drink me drink me appeal. The wine won't take you down the rabbit hole but it will get you into the mood for some Asian cuisine. To be honest I didn't feel that this was fermented in oak as it doesn't impact the flavour or the texture.

Alcohol: 13%
Price: $22
Rated: 88
Drink: Now - 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment