Tuesday 2 December 2014

Mitolo Wines Sagrantino 2012

One of the most promising new varieties in Australia is Sagrantino but I think it has been taken over by Nero d'Avola. Why the change? I think Nero is easier to drink when it is young, while Sagrantino is a bit tough going unless you love tannin and acidity with the flavours coiled up in the structure.

The Mitolo Sagrantino is a good entry level wine but doesn't reach the standard of some of the others in Australia and in the Vales.

Mitolo Wines Sagrantino 2012

This little number is dark in colour and dark in flavour profile. The wine is made in a traditional Australian manner with the grape only spending 10 days in contact with the juice before being pressed off to older French oak. The juice has been pumped over the skins for those 10 days to increase extraction of flavour and tannins. The palate is a bit spiky at the moment and I'm not sure is that will settle down or not but at 25 bucks I'd give it ago. The tannin profile isn't as imposing as I was expecting but I guess I was putting it up against the European versions that I have tried.

I fine effort for a first attempt and something I would take to a mates place to show him what else is out there.

Alcohol: 14.5%
Price: $25
Rated: 85
Drink: Now - 2020

Sagrantino

No comments:

Post a Comment