Thursday 3 October 2013

Panorama Vineyard Tempranillo 2011

Tempranillo is a versatile variety. Put it in a warm climate and you get a more full bodied wine with darker flavour and a hint of tannin. Easy to like and drink but not a keeper. Cooler weather will reduce the weight but increase the tannin and acidity which means cellar me up. I would look to the cooler areas in Victoria such as Yarra Valley or in South Australia look towards Kuipto in the Adelaide Hills for these styled wines. Tasmania definitely fits the bill for cool but I would have thought it would need a bit more sun. From this wine I might be wrong.


Panorama Vineyard Tempranillo 2011


The oak is still prominent at this stage but the acidity and tannin structure suggest that it will go the distance. On day three the flavours started to come out in the form of dried licorice stick, damp earth, dark cherries and spice. These are only just medium bodied but the palate is long and driven by a wedge of acidity. The acidity is balanced by the flavours with nothing really sticking out. It really needs a bit more stuffing for huge point but if the price is right I would go for it. I didn’t know the price when I tasted it and at $29 it looks good.


Alcohol: 13.5%
Price: $29
Rated: 88
Drink: Now - 2018

2011 Tempranillo

No comments:

Post a Comment