Monday 23 September 2013

Pizzini Il Barone 2009



The Il Barone is a blend of Cabernet, Shiraz, Sangiovese and Nebbiolo which means that it is definitely a field blend styled wine is dark and brooding character. The price for this wine puts it at the up market end of town and it is great to see a blend be given such focus. Too often we see in Australia the blends being the entry level wine with the straight varietals sitting up the top. From a purely quality and enjoyment factor, my top 5 best wines have all been blends.

Pizzini Il Barone 2009

The wine starts out a little rustic with roasted meats and rusty nails before the red fruits come rolling in. After an hour in the glass the wine has added weight and a darker flavour profile but it still has a rustic charm about it that makes me want to stick my head in and suck it down. The Nebiolo and Sangiovese have added a dirtiness to the palate with filthy tannin running wild. In te end the palate finishes well with juicy acidity and freshness. Would I drink this now? Well I could but I would give it another 4 years to show its true colour.

Alcohol: 14.2%
Price: $40
Rated: 89
Drink: From 2017

image

No comments:

Post a Comment