Sunday 11 November 2012

Stefano Lubiana Pinot Noir 2008's


This was written for Australian Wine Showcase Magazine A few months ago

Stefano Lubiana Pinot Noir 2008's


As I wake up today I can see the fog has rolled in outside which makes me feel uneasy.  It almost as if a four piece orchestra should be playing a tune about the impending doom that awaits. Once I am ready to head to the airport I slink into my car only to find that ice has encrusted itself onto every window in my car.  Luckily I carry a large bottle of water for such occasions so I douse the windows with water and crank the heat up to high. On the way down to the airport my mind drifts away to all things pinot noir and I start to feel a wave of energy run through my body. My mouth starts to salivate with the possibility of beautiful wines being poured right in front of me. As I park my car, my mid drifts back to reality which is fortunate as I am now running a little behind time. I quickly get my boarding pass and head down to the gate with my visit Tasmania magazine that I picked up on the way only to find that I am the last to board. Once in my seat I flick open my magazine to find a piece on the cheeses and food culture in Hobart.
As the plane levels out I look out at the most stunning crystal blue sky stretching out as far as the eye can see.  As the journey takes me closer to Hobart, little white clouds emerge which reminds me more of a stiff egg white than atmospheric formations. As the plane starts to make its final decent one thing stands out. Generally as the plane descends, you get the feeling of the temperature warming up but this does not occur at all.  In Hobart the sun is shining but the temperature is an icy cold five degrees when I arrive. Some thoughts start racing through my head as we pull into the terminal like, am I going to freeze or will my spring time English pullover keep me warm as I am led through Pinot Noir vineyards at the winery? Quickly as these two troublesome thought s entre my mind one calming thought takes over which is that Tasmania must be one of the most marginal areas in Australia and that makes for the possibility of exciting wine experiences.

As I drive towards the city center I remember a holiday I had in Hobart a few years ago. It was coming into the end of autumn but it already felt like it was the heart of winter. In the morning I woke up and headed down into Salamanca place on a Saturday morning for a coffee and something special from the local bakery.  What I found was a producers market that spanned the length of the place. The square was built around the 1990s and is lined by monumental sandstone buildings which remind me more of Bordeaux than Australia.  Every Saturday growers from around Hobart travel into the markets to sell their wares to the locals and holiday goers. It was my lucky day on my holiday as the Bruno Island Cheese Company was selling some of the most interesting and tasty cheeses I have ever tried in Australia. The markets are all about discovering what Tasmania and Hobart has to offer and you could spend hours just sampling your way around the little stalls. Alas I couldn't day dream any longer as I had to tuck myself into bed as it would be a long day of tasting and talking. 

The sun had only just peaked its head over the skyline, casting its glorious arms of colourful bright lights which would illuminate my path as I wanted to go for a run before the day began. As I ran across the cobble stone path, towards the bluff I notice what looks like frost covering the grass but I soon realize that those majestic moments will only last a few moments longer as the sun’s warmth would soon melt it all away. Once I start running I quickly forget that it is cold in Hobart and I start thinking about how the day will pan out. After I am ready to go I am picked up and driven out to Granton which is 20 minutes drive along a windy road along the coast. There are a few wineries along the way but it is the museum that stands out as it is architecturally stunning yet a contrast to the surrounding buildings.  The Mona museum was established in 2001 by David Walsh who is an art collector who also happens to be a billionaire. Most of the artwork is from David’s private collection while the building is something that can only be seen to be believed. One could say that it is a beacon for the area. Once we pass Mona it is not long until we arrive at Stefano Lubiana which is situated on a north east facing slope just a stone’s throw away from the Derwent River. This aspect allows for the cool winds to chill the grapes at night if it has been warm during the day but as we have been having the El nino weather system for the last two years it has just been cold all the time. Stefano and his wife Monique planted their first vineyard in 1991 with the white block commencing planting in 1995. The white block consistently produces the best quality Pinot Noir from the Estate and now forms almost 100% of the Sasso label. Stefano wasn’t planning on planting Pinot in the block in 1995 but a friend, Michael, who happened to be in mining but was obsessed with wine went to Stefano for some advice.  They came up with the idea that Michael could plant Pinot in the most marginal of areas on their estate and lease the vineyard from them for 15 years to which he agreed.  Once the vineyard came online the first two crops produced brilliant Pinot which was released under his own label. With the continual success of mining and smelting in the area the company that Michael worked for was bought by a Chinese company who soon moved Michael to China. The Lubiana’s took back the lease of the vineyard and soon after the Sasso label was born.

After passing the white block we arrive at our destination which happens to be a big hole in the ground. The massive hole looks like someone has dropped a bomb and the earth has scattered around the edges but really it is the start of their new wine cave, restaurant and cellar door. Stefano had this dream to build a state-of-the-art elegant restaurant with a cellar underneath that could house his entire production of sparkling wines. They had a budget of $800,000 to compete the project including the architecture’s fees. They went through the arduous task of designing the building with the architecture firm and they ended up with a building that they were very happy with except of thing. The price! The project would end up costing over $2 ½ million. If that was me I would have gone back to the drawing boards but not so for Stefano or Monique as they decided that they could build it themselves for the price that they could afford. When I arrived they had just completed digging out the earth for the cellar. It will result in the wines being stored in the earth that the vines are in just a few hundred meters away. Once it is complete the restaurant will take its fresh produce from the vegetable patches that lie just at the bottom of the building . What could be more exciting than that? Well, Stafano has been cultivating his own unique Pinot Noir vines over the past 2 years. They are unique to his vineyard as they are from the natural fertilization between the vines he has on his property. Over the course of his trials he will select the best quality producing vines and plant them out into a single vineyard which may become a single vineyard wine. This is an exciting period for Stefano and the Australian wine scene as this project will result in a truly authentic representation of Pinot Noir from Tasmania which may result in more people becoming enthused and trying to produce their own unique wines.

In the winery everything is geared up for experimentation and refining of skills but what do I really mean by that. Well, there is a section set aside for oak Rieslings, which this year comes in at 10 barrels.  Stefano tastes then regularly to track the development but hasn't made a decision as to what he is going to do with them. He could make a single vineyard limited release wine or blend it into his premium label to fill out the mid-palate and increase the textural component of the wine. Right next to these barrels lays an amphora which is a clay fermentation vessel that resembles a large chicken egg. Stefano is also experimenting with extended maceration and he is doing this in a science based manner. He has found out that the Europeans have been doing extended maceration for some time now but it is the Slovenians that have been documenting the effects. Stefano has got his hands on the research and is following up with those techniques. As a result of his trials Stefano now allows all of his red wines to have extended contact with their skins but it ranges from an extra 2 weeks for his Primavera label to an extra 2 ½ months for his Merlot. This means that he selects particular parcels for extended maceration and then allows them to develop slowly. The only thing that is used in the winery is a little sulfur which would mean that this winery is at the forefront of natural wine-making. All of the wines taste clean and structured which is at odds with many natural wine-makers in Australia but the wines do possess that extra flavour and easiness like so many European natural wines.

It was a lot to take in as we work our way through the winery but it was magical to sit at a long wooden table with three glasses of Pinot Noir from the experimentation that has occurred over the last 6 years. The below wines are the first release from the trials that were kept separate in 2008. Stefano could keep these separate as the yields were a little higher in 2008.

Selection 1/3 Pinot Noir 2008
There is only 480 bottle of this extended maceration wine which makes this as scarce as hens teeth. The wine spent 146 days on skins and was bottled under cork. On the nose the wine seems to be bursting from the seams with masses of dark fruit and spice sprinting out of the glass. Once the wine enters my mouth it coats every last millimetre of vacant space. It has texture and brightness in a dirty earthy sort of manner with fruit flavours of cherry and wild boar. The flavours aren't really the thing that sets this apart from most of the other top quality Pinot Noir in Australia; rather it is the wealth of tannins that latch on to my mouth and never let me go that takes this into the stratosphere.

Alcohol: 14%
Price: $60
Rated: 95
Drink: Give it another 6 years and it will see its 15th birthday

Selection 2/3 Pinot Noir 2008

This wine was fermented in a more conventional manner as it was fermented in stainless steel tank for 16 days with only the MV6, 115 and 116 clones used. The wine smells sweeter than the previous wine and also more approachable. This transfers onto the palate but the brightness is evident like the previous wine. The flavours remind me of summer when I was a kid as I was obsessed with raspberry sorbet and caramel swirls. One could almost call this bottled childhood but I won’t go that far. There is a softness to the palate weight and a lightness to the delivery of flavours which makes this very appealing.

Alcohol: 14%
Price: $60
Rated: 92
Drink: Whenever you want

Selection 3/3 Pinot Noir 2008

The last of the trio was selected due to the sub-soil and is a combination of two vineyards, the white block and red block. This wine is a balance between lightness and richness as there is a rose petal and cherry blossom component over blueberries, dirt and sweet aged vinegar. The mid-palate is super rich and there is a treasure trove of chalk tannins coming through which makes me think I should give this another 5 years for it to show its true potential.

Alcohol: 14%
Price: $60
Rated: 94
Drink: 2017 - 2024

2008 Stefano Lubiana Selection Series Pinot Noir

No comments:

Post a Comment