Tuesday 11 September 2012

Wild Duck Creek Cabernet Release 2012


David Anderson has an addiction to Cabernet so while his Shiraz based wines might garner the attention of the critics, he is chipping away at transforming a large majority of his wines into Cabernet dominant blends. It must be something about the original plantings of Cabernet, which have now turned 27, as it seems to produce beautiful wines year in year out. Out of all the Wild Duck Creek wines, the Alan’s Cabernet was the first wine that I ever tasted and it didn’t fit into my preconceptions about the label. I had this idea that they would be massive wines with huge amount of sweetness running through them that lacked structure.  What I tasted on that first occasion was elegance and structure with flavour to match.  

Wild Duck Creek Estate The Blend 2010

Cabernet here we come! The wine starts out shy and reserved but soon the flavour of spearmint and blackcurrant start to emerge. The wine is medium bodied and delicious as the quaffable flavours slide down my tongue with such ease yet the wines structure is the thing that holds my attention. It slowly creeps up on you, giving you a little fright or should I say delight. With each mouthful the flavour wraps an extra layer of flavour and texture which holds on my palate for an age. For an entry level wine this is dame fine, in fact I would be happy to have this as my leading wine.

Alcohol: 14%
Price: $25
Rated: 90
Drink: Now - 2023





Wild Duck Creek Estate Alan’s Cabernet 2010

This is one of my favourite wines from Wild Duck Creek and one that I buy every year. That may also have to do with my father in-law’s name being Alan. Every time he comes over for a special event I open up one of these for him and the bottle seems to disappear rather quickly. This year’s version is one of the strongest that I have tasted in terms of quality.  The wine is more elegant that normal but it still retains those lovely flavours of cinnamon, spearmint, blackcurrant, dried earth and spice that I would normally expect from this vineyard but the tannins and length is more pronounced. The pairing of texture and flavour is beautifully poised and seems to cover the acidity right to the back palate where the avalanche of saliva takes over. Seriously it is like Niagara Falls at the height of the wet season. I would normal recommend 10 years in the cellar for this label but this years version needs and extra couple added on.

Alcohol: 13%
Price: $45
Rated: 93
Drink: 2025 - 2040



Wild Duck Creek Estate Ducks & Drakes 2010

 If the Alan's is reserved then the Duck's and Drakes is over the other end of the spectrum. The flavour come bounding out of the glass in a loving yet gigantic manner. In fact all of my taste buds took cover as the wines richness and length over power me after the first sip but after that everything settles down nicely. The wines entry is vibrant and the flavours of mostly Cabernet crawl up my tongue, covering every inch of my mouth. The mid-palate of the wine is all Shiraz so this wine works brilliantly as a quintessential Australian blend. 

Alcohol: 85% VOL FREE
Price: $30
Rated: 92
Drink: 2015 - 2024



No comments:

Post a Comment