Monday 24 September 2012

Wendouree Shiraz 2010


The wine from Wendouree in 2010 will live for decades so if one of your kids was born in that year you should seriously consider getting your hands on some.

Wendouree Shiraz 2010

Like all of the Wendouree wines, this wine is savoury and elegant which is a mile away from what has been the trend in South Australia during recent times.  Would that make this wine aimed towards old school wine connoisseurs? Well no I don’t think it would but I do think that people that love their wines sweet, wouldn’t go for this style.  The 2010 version of this wine is so slow to evolve in the glass that for the first two days it didn’t really show well. On day 3 the flavours of cedar, spiced plums, chocolate bits and menthol started to show themselves. Over the period that I reviewed this wine a mesmerising note of warm clay started to poke its head out from behind the wall but never did it take center stage. The oak treatment is a little more prominent than the cabernet wines yet I’m at ease with the mouth-feel that the oak creates.  When I finished writing my notes, my mate and I took the bottle down to his cave and sipped the glorious nectar while we played 8 ball. All we needed was a cigar and the picture would have been complete.

Alcohol: 14
Price: $55
Rated: 93
Drink: 2025 – 2040


No comments:

Post a Comment