Thursday 30 August 2012

Yabby Lake Block 2 & 6 Pinot Noir 2010

I have never had a wine from Yabby Lake but as the project had been handled with such care and attention from the beginning, it was exciting to see how these wines looked. If these two wines are anything to go by everyone should watch out.


Yabby Lake Block 6 Pinot Noir 2010

Oak in Pinot is not my thing but the oak here is so alluring that I can easily put my pre-conceptions behind me.  I think they have laid on the oak a bit thicker than the Block 2, as this wine has some intense fruit power sleeping under the oak. You still get the cherry fruit with roast cumin that you normally get from this region but it seems like they have inserted a v8 engine into the bottle. Leave it alone or bite the bullet and get on board.

Alcohol: 14%
Price: $90
Rated: 90
Drink: 2014 +


Yabby Lake Block 2 Pinot Noir 2010

Could someone find a key as this wine is locked up so tight it is scary. What it did show over the time that I watched it was moments of smoky cranberries and dried herbs dancing with cherry tarts and Indian spices.  I’m terrified of this wine as I think that it will rock the house down once the wine opens out a bit. It feels like this wine was put together with a surgeon’s scalpel as there is nothing out of place at all but it just feels not ready to rumble. Could it be recovering after getting out of surgery?

Alcohol: 14%
Price: $90
Rated: 91 +
Drink 2015 and beyond



No comments:

Post a Comment