Tuesday 31 July 2012

Tyrrell's Vat 9 2009 & 2011

Tyrrell's Vat 9 2009 

The sentence "medium bodied with amazing length and layers of flavour" is written across the bottom of my note pad but I thought I should start with that line as it embodies this wine totally. There are so many flavours throwing themselves out of this wine it is hard to comprehend. Well it isn't hard but the wine is locked up and controlled that you will have to wait for a while before true love rises from the bottle. If you haven't tried a Hunter red then get your hands on a bottle of this and be blown away. 

Alcohol: 13%
Price: $80
Rated: 94+
Drink: 2016 - 2029

Tyrrell's Vat 9 2011

This wine is light bodied in the red end of the spectrum. In fact it is so light one of my mates thought this was a pinot noir. What this wine possesses that set this apart is an immaculate structure with plenty of spice and length of flavour. I could see why many wouldn't rate this wine that highly but I think that is based on the style of the wine, not being to their liking, and not based on the quality of the wine as it offers a huge amount in a Hunter sort of fashion. You could drink this now but I think it will shine with a few years under it's belt.

Alcohol: 12.9%
Price: $80 ($49 for members)
Rated: 90
Drink:  2016 - 2031



No comments:

Post a Comment