Friday 8 June 2012

Whistling Eagle Semillon 2008

I have never tried a Semillon from Heathcote so I was interested to see this come across my desk.  The region of Heathcote is a little warmer than other parts of Victoria which got me thinking that this would be stylistically similar to the Semillon's that come out of the Barossa.

Whistling Eagle Semillon 2008

This is the currant release so they hold it back a while to let the oak integrate and it has done this wine wonders. There is still a hair of sweetness from the oak but it is balanced brilliantly by the savoury aspects from the fruit. Tart lemons are so savoury it is scary and this wine is all about the lemon loving. There are also notes of dried grass and lanolin mixed with vanilla pods that pull me back for another sip.  While this drinks well now, I would give it a few more years for all the elements to fully combine.

Alcohol: 12%
Price: $25
Rated: 87
Drink: 2015 and on

No comments:

Post a Comment