Monday 25 June 2012

Patritti JPB Shiraz 2010

I received a comment on a Wirra Wirra wine a little while ago asking if their wine and this wine tasted similar as they come off the same vineyard so I thought I should do a bit of research.




As you can see there are three blocks on this one vineyard.  The block to the right is where the Wirra Wirra Patritti Shiraz comes from and the wine is more aromatic that the two other blocks. While this wine is off of the middle block taste of the wine is a little more robust in its style than the block to the right.  The block to the left is the most robust of the three blocks and tastes a little more like the wines that come from the heart of McLaren Vale.  All of the blocks are on a sandy soil which makes them best during the hotter vintages. As this wine has only just been released I have only seen two places that sell it. At cellar door and myCellars.

Patritti JPB Shiraz 2010

When I first tasted this the thing that stood out the most was the tannin structure. It is more like a Nebbiolo than a Shiraz but the flavours are carried perfectly on the robust velvety tannins.  What also knocked me over was how tight this wine was for at least the first five days, after which flavours of dark chocolate and savoury blackberries started to emerge.  Each day I came back to check on this wine something new and exciting showed itself in the form of smoked blueberries, crushed rock and wood soaked straw.  This is the sort of wine that gets me reaching for my dancing shoes as not often do you find wines that people will be drinking in 30 to 40 years and saying I remember when we first started buying Patritti before they became the star winery of Australia. Did you parents ever tell you about the times when they used to buy Grange by the carton? This wine is the same as that but you get the chance to get on board at the beginning.

Alcohol: 14.5%
Price: $45
Rated: 94 +
Drink: 2025 - 2050


1 comment: