Monday 21 May 2012

Politini Rose 2010

The King Valley has been around for a while but it wasn't until the early 1970s when two families started planting in the Upper reaches near Moyhu that things really started to take off.  The change in elevation and in rainfall makes this area difficult to plant one type of variety but the area is focusing on elegant food friendly style. The underlying soil structure in many of the areas contains a high content of red clay loam which means that there is plenty of free drainage.  What is also means is that there is a high degree of nutrients in the soil for the vines to grow well without much trouble.

Politini Rose 2010

I'm not a big fan of sweet style rose and this one is definitely not in that camp. That said there is an initial uptake of sweet cherries but it then turns dirt and savoury as the wine slides down my tongue.  I guess you could say that this is a dangerous wine as I found that I had finished a glass before I knew it and had already poured another before I had started writing my notes. I think that is a rather good thing for a wine to possess.  On the flavour front there is nice moments of sour raspberries, rhubarb, lemon rind and spice before a light dusting of chalky tannins kick in.  These tannins are rare in rose in Australia but they work so well in this wine.  The most surprising thing about this wine is the price to quality ratio.  High quality to low price which is just brilliant.

Alcohol: 13.5%
Price: $16
Rated: 86
Drink: Now or over the next few years

Sangiovese Rosé 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment