Tuesday 29 May 2012

Brash Higgins Single Vineyard Shiraz 2010

Brash  Higgins is a label that people must get to know!

Brash Higgins Single Vineyard Shiraz 2010

Pepper and spice and all things nice is where Brash it at. He himself is a jovial and bouncy type of guy and this is how his wine comes across. He talks the talk and from this wine walks the walk.  The wine is loveable and cuddly but there is a tightness to the tannin structure that will open up with 5 or so years in a cave. From a flavour perspective there are dangles of plum and chocolate mixed with licorice but everything is encrusted in spice. I am transfixed by what this wine tastes like and how it makes me feel. Bravo!

Alcohol: 14.5%
Price: $37
Rated: 88 +
Drink: 2017 - 2030


3 comments:

  1. Intrigued as to your scoring structure Mr T - do you have a guide at all as to how bands relate on the 100 viz the 20 scale and with medal/ show structure?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stuart, I received my training at Hamilton College where I completed my wine appreciation and sensory evaluation course using the 20 pt system. 3 colour, 7 nose and 10 palate. For the wine shows 15.5 - 16.9 bronze, 17 - 18.4 silver and gold 18.5 and up. I now use the 100 pt system as it seems to be accepted as the norm. The best review using a 100 system was from Brisbane book club who gave an 85 to a wine as it didn't kill him. it sounds like you disagree with how I score wine as you use the term as all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not at all. Prefer the written review anyhow. Took me a while to try and get to grips with different bands for different reviewers when I started to read in earnest.

    Then I found many sites had, as you've outlined in your response, a table or some such that articulates a 'score' against other qualitative indicators. As an example:
    http://www.winefront.com.au/winorama-rating-system/

    Not a criticism, merely a question :)

    ReplyDelete