Thursday 19 April 2012

Wirra Wirra Patritti Shiraz 2010

Wirra Wirra is fast becoming my winery of the year.  The Woodhenge was so good I thought that that was it.  I want to meet the head winemaker from this winery as I now put him and his team up the top of the tree in terms of quality. The quality of this wine is staggering yet I tasted this wine not knowing the price or district from within McLaren Vale that this wine originated from.  The winery must have some of the best vineyards in McLaren Vale because this is the first young Shiraz to drop me to the floor. I actually had to sit down for five minutes after taking the first sip it is that good. Now the team at Wirra Wirra only had enough juice to fill two barrels so there is not much around which means you need to get in fast.  The best part is this wine was made for the scarce earth project meaning that it will be on tasting.  Try it and buy it I say.

Wirra Wirra Patritti Shiraz 2010

Oh so fragrant in it's approach as the aromas waft out of the glass. Was I expecting this? No, I was thinking this would be dark in nature but this wine is feminine and expressive which toys with your senses.  Dare I take a sip? Could the palate live up to the seductive foreplay of the perfume that dances around in my nostrils?  Hell yes! The palate is something that will live in my mind forever as it balances structure and flavour like no other Shiraz that I have tasted.  Is this the best young Shiraz I have ever tasted? Yes and it should be in everyone's cellar that loves this variety. The wine seems to pull off everything. It is lively in the mouth yet intense in flavour that feels dark and evil but is really seamless and light.

Alcohol: 14.5%
Price: $130
Rated: 95
Drink: 2017 - 2040

 

2 comments:

  1. If you loved this wine then I'm very intrigued to find out what you think of the "2010 Patritti JPB Single Vineyard Reserve Shiraz". Exact same MLV vineyard and I hear it is as good if not better than Wirra Wirra's interpretation. Big call, I know! Considering a) the Patritti family would have had first dibs on their own fruit from this special patch of land and b) it is less than half the price of Wirra Wirra's wine ($45), it certainly constitutes a highly attractive proposition. Here's hoping you'll post a review soon.

    If you need any more convincing, here's Halliday's spin on it:

    “This is an awesome wine, so full of flavour that it burst out of my mouth, not once but twice, on a shirt that is unlikely to ever be the same again. This is liquid blackberry, dark chocolate and licorice, oak and tannins mere support players. The cork in both wines is of high quality, and correctly inserted” – My 20 Great Reds, James Halliday. June/July Issue 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to make a call to get a sample sent over but at that price it would be jaw dropping quality and stupid prices.

    ReplyDelete