Friday 13 April 2012

Stefano Lubiana Brut 2004

When Champagne was first produced they were packaged in a normal burgundy bottle but as the wine went through secondary fermentation in bottle the wines kept on exploding. While the French didn't really go for the bubbles in Champagne, the British couldn't get enough of the stuff. So I guess we should all thank the English, otherwise I may never have go to drink these styles of wines that are so addictive.

Stefano Lubiana Brut 2004

Now I wouldn't call this sweet nore would I call it sour either. What I would say is that this balances each end of the spectrum with a deft hand and sophistication.   There is a flavour of lemon curd and shortbread beautifully dancing on a knife edge against a floral and strawberry component. In the end everything finishes nice and dry but I'm left conemplating life, the universe and everything. A number keeps jumping into my mind.  42 but that doesn't really relate to the journey that this wine will take you on.  The gentle flow of flavours coat my tongue in intense and invigorating zestiness and then hang around for what seems an endless amount of time.  I have been thinking of sparkling wines from Australia that are this good and I am hard pressed to think of any except Arras and some vintages from Bindi.

Alcohol: 12.5%
Price: $58
Rated: 93
Drink: Now - 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment