Sunday 15 April 2012

Hahndorf Hill Winery Chardonnay 2010

Hahndorf Hill winery is located just before you reach the township of Hahndorf which is 20 minutes drive from Adelaide.  They are the first in Australia to offer a ChocoVino experience.  This is where they pair wines with chocolate.  When I first heard about this I was a little sceptical but it works brilliantly. This idea first originated in South Africa and they have done it beautifully.  I would recommend that if you are in Adelaide you should head up and experience this unique event.

Hahndorf Hill Winery Chardonnay 2010

There is so much bells and whistles crammed into this wine that it really needs a few years to show its best. On the first two days I got roasted nuts mixed with creme brulee and some spice in a full throttle assault style.  On the third day some lovely delicate flavours of grapefruit and pear started to emerge mingling with the hand of the winemaker.  While I liked what was on show I didn't think it had the acidity to pull it off but I don't think you could have picked it any earlier either.  It is a good quality wine from an area that produces great quality Chardonnays.

Alcohol: 12%
Price: $28
Rated: 86
Drink: 2014 - 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment