Tuesday 27 March 2012

Saint Clair Family Estate Gruner Veltliner 2011

Gruner Veltliner is one of my favourite varieties so it is great to taste one from a new area. This variety loves the same conditions as Riesling so New Zealand should be a great fit. This is the first release of Gruner from this winery so I expect things over the first few years to greatly improve while they figure out how to get the best out of this variety.

Saint Clair Family Estate Gruner Veltliner 2011

The wine starts out with a lovely floral component with a little lemon, struck quart and peach with a melange of spice adding interest.  Once it is one my palate there is a sweet oaky element that takes over and dominates. While I like the smell, the oak is a little too much which leaves my unrefreshed.  For the money it does offer a lot of enjoyment but in a full bodied style.

Alcohol: 14%
Price: $18
Rated: 85
Drink: Now
Importer: Negociants

No comments:

Post a Comment