Tuesday 13 March 2012

Kay Brothers Amery Vineyards Hillside Shiraz 2008

Kay Brothers have some of the oldest vineyards in McLaren Vale but that vineyard goes into the Block 6 label.  This wine is from the cuttings from the Block 6 which were replanted in 1992 and subsequent years. From all of the 2008 wines that I have tasted from McLaren Vale this is the wine that tastes as if it will age the best.

Kay Brothers Amery Vineyards Hillside Shiraz 2008

The oak dominates the nose but that doesn't transfer over to the palate. On the palate there are flecks of blackberry compote and lively blue-fruits dancing the macarena while a gentle breeze of dark licorice and spice waft over me. The wine doesn't cry out at me, nor does it leave me feeling underweight, it just levels me feeling content. Bravo for Colin Kay to make an age-worthy wine out of an extreme heatwave.

Alcohol: 15%
Price: $40
Rated: 89++
Drink: Give it 4 years before opening it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment