Monday 6 February 2012

Chalk Hill Sangiovese 2010

Sangiovese is one of my favourite varieties so I was ultra impressed when this came across my desk. McLaren Vale has been growing Sangiovese for 27 years so they should know what they are doing. Unfortunately Chalk Hill haven't been doing it that long which brings me to the trouble I had with this wine.  The wine is 15.5% and in my view the alcohol level should never get to that.  I tasted the wine and scored it before I looked at the alcohol content but I could definitely taste the alcohol on the palate.

Chalk Hill Sangiovese 2010

If you love having shots at a night club then this wine is for you.  It tastes like a vodka shot with a ripe cherry on top.  If you asked me what variety this was, I couldn't tell you but I would have said it was from a very hot vintage.  It turns out that 2010 wasn't a hot vintage at all so I think they may have left the fruit on the vine too long.  There are some nice Sangiovese tannins under the flavours which brings the score up a bit but I think this would struggle with food due to the flavour spectrum of the wine.

Alcohol: 15.5%
Price: $22
Rated: 82
Drink: Now

No comments:

Post a Comment