Saturday 11 February 2012

Balnaves The Tally 2000

Cabernet, when it is allowed to sit in the cellar, is so good to bring out for a big occasion and as it was my dad's 69th birthday I thought this would be a great time to so it off.  What Shiraz shows in its youth, Cabernet has in abundance with 10 years under its belt. Now I've been tasting and collecting the Tally ever since the wine was first made in 1998 so I can safely say that this wine is of ultra high quality but sits firmly at the bottom of the Tally vintages.

Balnaves The Tally 2000

The cork came out perfectly with no hints of wine running down the side of the cork so I thought I would be in for something special. This wine in perfectly in the middle of its journey to old age with a mix of youthful brambly and blackberry flavours intertwined with tobacco leaf and smoked salty licorice.  As my father was enjoying this a little too much I didn't get to see this evolve in the glass as he had already finished the rest of the bottle before I got to take another look.  Even still the wine has a great fluidity and joyfulness about it as the flavours, ripe tannin and succulent acidity run rings around my mouth. Drink with pride!

Alcohol: 13.5%
Price: $90
Rated: 92
Drink: Now - 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment