Tuesday 31 January 2012

Romney Park Pinot Noir 2009

I was sitting at my desk last night with this wine in my hand, thinking what is the difference between New World and Old World Pinot Noir. If I take this wine as an example then there is an abundance of fruit evident with little of those earthy dirty flavours but the difference doesn't stop there.  Tannins are an integral aspect for a wine to pair well with a range of food style and that is missing in so many Pinot Noirs that are made in a New World style such as this wine.  Lastly, the alcohol levels are higher for the New World wines than there Old World counterparts. Does that make the New World wines of lesser quality? Well not for the average wine but at the top end, the Old World wines kick the New World wines to the curb.

Romney Park Pinot Noir 2009

Upon opening the wine shows nice moments of sweet Christmas cherries with cranberries and spice being nominated for best supporting role.  The wine in medium bodied and lively as it slips down the back of my throat.  While I really like the gorgeous fruits that are evident, there is a slight alcohol warmth on the back palate which hold me back from scoring it higher.

Alcohol: 13.7%
Price: $40
Rated: 88
Drink: Now - 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment