Saturday 19 November 2011

Verdelho

Now Verdelho isn't a variety that I regularly taste but to have two on the bench at the same time got me thinking. What can the variety do and how does it taste? Well it grows up mainly in Portugal and manages to hold a crunchiness and drink-ability in warm climates. I think that is something fits with our climate. In general there is an acid structure evident in all of the wines yet they can be full bodied with flavours in the tropical spectrum. The good ones balance structure and flavour that results in a food friendly wine of interest.

Herdade do Esporao 2009

There are elements of lemon rind and musk stick that pull me in then a spicy passionfruit and papaya flavour holds my interest.  The flavour build on my tongue yet with each sip a mouthwatering acidity pulls me back for the next mouthful.  I feel bright and invigorated as I taste this. Is there more to the complexity of the wine? Yes but I stopped writing and just drank.

Alcohol: 14%
Price: $33
Rated: 90
Drink: over the next couple of years

Tyrrell's Fordwich 2011


This really needs a year or two in the bottle to show its best but what is does have now is a crunchiness and a brilliant vibrancy that bursts from the bottle. There are elements of guava and lemon blossom but they take a day or two to emerge. The wine is zippy as the spicy orange peel unfolds on your tongue. Many would write this off if tasted it over a short tasting period but I let it sit for 4 days. Be calm and it will reward.


Alcohol: 12.5%
Price: $16
Rated: 87
Drink: 2012 - 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment