Friday 23 September 2011

Bodegas Roda Reserva 2005

The Reserva label from Bodegas Roda is a little more open and approachable than the Roda I.  I would be happy to open this now without the feeling that I wasn’t gaining something by letting it sit in the cellar.  As Bodegas Roda was founded in 1987, I feel that they still have a bit of a way to go before they reach their potential.  That said they make astonishing wine at the moment.

Bodegas Roda Reserva 2005

The opens with a little cherry cola notes while the cranberry juice and plums build as the wine sits in the glass.  While I wouldn’t say that this is fruit laden, as there are smoky nuances and bunches of wild herb popping out at me, I do get the feeling that the scales are tipped that way.  Do I care? No not at all, in fact the balance between sweet and sour fruit is sublime, while the acidity adds a little something extra to the overall feel of the wine. 

Alcohol: 14.5%
Price: $85

Rated: 93+
Drink: Now - 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment