Wednesday 10 August 2011

Penfolds St Henri 2001

St Henri takes up a large proportion of my cellar.  It was the first wine my wife and I seriously enjoyed.  We were at Magill Estate Restaurant for the degustation menu with matching wines some years ago.   What an event! For the fourth wine they served two wines blind. Jamie Sach was the Sommelier at the time and he provided the entertainment for the event.  Both my wife and I picked the first wine as the one we preferred.  Jamie revealed that it was the 82 St Henri.  It blew us away.  So what was the second wine? The 82 Grange.  Ever since I've collected St Henri.

Penfolds St Henri 2001

All rocking and ready to go! Raspberry coolade, chocolate, leather and menthol are the main features of this beauty.  There are soft and cuddly components to the wine which makes me feel like it has hit its peak.  Like most of the Penfolds stable you don't have to rush to drink it, just wait for a special event to crack this with friends or a loved one.  The 01 would not rank as a top St Henri but it does provide a lot of enjoyment at the moment.

Alcohol: 14.5%
Price: $45 (on release)

Rated: 89
Drink: whenever you like

No comments:

Post a Comment