Sunday 3 July 2011

Majella Cabernet Sauvignon 2001

Majella resides in the middle of the Coonawarra wine region with the vineyards firmly in the heart of the Terra Rossa soils.  The Terre Rossa strip gets its name from weathered limestone which over a long period turns into a brilliant and highly visible red clay.  As the limestone eroded whatever minerals or heavier materials that was mixed in is left behind. You can see the beautiful red clay on the limestone from the photo below.



Majella Cabernet Sauvignon 2001

 
I have had these in the cellar since they were released so i was looking forward to trying my first one.  Coonawarra Cabernet used to be my go to wine for cellaring but it has dropped off my radar in recent times.  This little beauty brought home that i should get back to them.  As I just rip the cork out of the bottle and pour into my glass, I didn't know what to expect but the luscious liquid unfolded exponentially over the course of the evening.  I just kept on going back for more! Neither my wife nor I could stop me from taking another look.  The main feature of the wine is a bootylicious tannin structure with vibrant acidity keeping everything bright and buxom.  My last purchase of Majella was with the 04 Cab but I think I’ll be having a look at the current vintage over the next couple weeks.  The flavour spectrum contains a mix of mature, green tobacco, and youth, red capsicum, so i wouldn't be in a hurry to drink up. 


Alcohol: 14%
Price: $27
Rated: 93
Drink: 2011 - 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment