Saturday 23 July 2011

Kalleske Grenache 2003

Kalleske farms sustainability in the Greenock Creek sub-region of the Barossa.  Generally they produce age worthy examples of both Shiraz and Grenache based wine.  However, I preferred this one on release rather than the 4 times I've tried it since. 

Kalleske Grenache 2003

Now I've had this in my vinothek since this was released so I was hoping for something special. What I got was a whack of bourbon, baked spicy plum pie, currants, port and leather.  The initial attack was sweet, sweet and sweet but turned savory on the mid palate before the oak extended the palate length.  I must admit that that even though this has got the big gong I prefer the 04 to this at this stage. At the moment the tannins, fruit and oak are out of balance and I can't see that coming around. 

Alcohol: 15.5%
Price: $45

Rated: 84
Drink: 2007 - 2010




No comments:

Post a Comment